Friday, February 20, 2009

Eulogy

Do you remember?
Did you see
anything I tried
to do or anyone
I tried to be?
This smile, this tear,
this furrowed brow or
the shaking fear
are momentary matters,
meaningless
unless
they mattered
to you or to me
or to anyone who would
look or see.
Forgotten is all
they will ever be.
Not steel, nor stone,
no edifice, or rhyme
will endure beyond a moment
or thought,
all fade or rot
with time.
But if you know,
or if I,
if, for a moment,
we dare to meet
eye to eye,
or heart to heart,
or hand in hand,
then waning will not
matter
and other instants
need not stand.

All I need
can be captured
in your glance,
a hearbeat's thought
and heart
to take the chance
that once will last,
that this will be.
Though fear holds fast,
love makes free.

No comments:

Post a Comment